By Benjamin Wiker
These are their evil opposites. From Machiavelli's The Prince to Karl Marx's The Communist Manifesto to Alfred Kinsey's Sexual habit within the Human Male, those "influential" books have ended in conflict, genocide, totalitarian oppression, kinfolk breakdown, and disastrous social experiments. And but those authors' undesirable principles are nonetheless well known and pervasive--in truth, they may impression your individual considering with no your knowing it. right here with the antidote is Professor Benjamin Wiker. In his scintillating new e-book, 10 Books That Screwed Up the area (And five Others that did not Help), he seizes every one of those evil books by means of its malignant center and exposes it to the sunshine of day. during this witty, realized, and provocative exposé, you will learn:
* Why Machiavelli's The Prince was once the foundation for a protracted checklist of tyrannies (Stalin had it on his nightstand)
* How Descartes' Discourse on strategy "proved" God's lifestyles merely via making Him a production of our personal ego
* How Hobbes' Leviathan resulted in the idea that we have got a "right" to no matter what we want
* Why Marx and Engels's Communist Manifesto may well win the award for the main malicious booklet ever written
* How Darwin's The Descent of guy proves he meant "survival of the fittest" to be utilized to human society
* How Nietzsche's past solid and Evil issued the decision for an international governed completely by way of the "will to power"
* How Hitler's Mein Kampf was once a type of "spiritualized Darwinism" that bills for his genocidal anti-Semitism
* How the pansexual paradise defined in Margaret Mead's Coming of Age in Samoa became out to be a construction of her personal sexual confusions and aspirations
* Why Alfred Kinsey's Sexual habit within the Human Male was once easily autobiography masquerading as science
Witty, surprising, and instructive, 10 Books That Screwed Up the realm deals a brief schooling at the worst rules in human history--and how we will steer clear of them within the future.
Read Online or Download 10 Books that Screwed Up the World: And 5 Others That Didn't Help PDF
Best books & reading books
The award-winning underneath the yankee Renaissance is a vintage paintings on American literature. It immeasurably broadens our wisdom of our most vital literary interval, as first pointed out by way of F. O. Matthiessen's American Renaissance. With its blend of sharp severe perception, attractive remark, and narrative force, it represents the type of masterful cultural heritage for which David Reynolds is understood.
We inhabit a textually super-saturated and more and more literate global. This quantity encourages readers to contemplate the various methodologies utilized by historians of interpreting globally, and exhibits how destiny learn could absorb the problem of recording and analyzing the practices of readers in an more and more digitized society.
This e-book takes the next query as its start line: What are a number of the the most important issues the reader needs to do as a way to make feel of a literary narrative? The publication is a research of the feel of narrative fiction, utilizing stylistics, corpus linguistic rules (especially Hoey’s paintings on lexical patterning), narratological rules, and cognitive stylistic paintings by means of Werth, Emmott, and others.
Diaspora stories has built in recent times from disparate enquiries into diasporic phenomena in political technology, anthropology, heritage, geography, and literary and cultural reviews. Its emergence as a full-fledged transdisciplinary study box has been predicated to a wide measure on an curiosity in questions of dispersal and mobility.
- Minor Characters Have Their Day (Literature Now)
- Join the Revolution, Comrade: Journeys and Essays
- Intermedialität – Wechselwirkungen zwischen Literatur und Film (German Edition)
- Book Matters: The Changing Nature of Literacy
Additional resources for 10 Books that Screwed Up the World: And 5 Others That Didn't Help
10 Books that Screwed Up the World: And 5 Others That Didn't Help by Benjamin Wiker